Lilymarlene's Patchwork Blog

Sunday, July 02, 2006

I went to the National Patchwork Championships at Sandown Park Racecourse today. Here are some of the quilts I saw...
This one was called "Quattrecentro" and was made byBarbara and Sylvia Richards from Italy. The show guide says that "This applique quilt, our first joint project, pays homage to the Italian Renaissance. It includes profile portraits, gold embossing, haraldic motifs, using cut-back velvets, shot organza and silk. It is machine quilted."
I loved it. There was a whole section of the show devoted to 23 of their quilts.











This next one was particularly interesting to me. When we visited St Marco Cathedral in Venice in 1996 I was stunned by the beauty of the mosaic floors....which have to be seen to be believed. This quilt by Barbara Richards really captured the floors for me. When I saw it I knew it was St Marco's floor without even reading the show guide.

 Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

  • I stumbled over your allotment blog and found my way here. Thanks for sharing your photos of these amazing quilts, they really are works of art. I particularly love the Italian ones as am a great fan of Italy.

    Your own are amazing as well, what a lovely gift to be able to give to your family, they are real heirloom pieces.

    I can only do cross stitch but I think you may have just introduced me to a new hobby!

    By Blogger glamlawlib, at Friday, 11 August, 2006  

  • Blogging is amazing isn't it. I have lovely journeys round all my favourites using Bloglines My Feeds every evening.
    Thanks for your kind comments about my quilts. I hope to do more once winter comes and I have less to do outside.
    This next Friday I'm off to the Festival of Quilts at Birmingham NEC. Can't wait!!!! I'll have lots more photos then too!

    By Blogger lilymarlene, at Friday, 11 August, 2006  

  • It certainly is one of the best uses of the internet I know of!

    I'll look forward to your photos from the NEC, shame I have to work otherwise I'd be very tempted to go. Probably better for my bank balance this way though ;)

    By Blogger glamlawlib, at Saturday, 12 August, 2006  

  • I know just what you mean!!!!! LOL. In one of my favourite quilting books (I have over a hundred!) there is a little bit about hiding your fabric stash from DH! The writer suggests putting it at the back of the airing cupboard....they'll never look there!!! Very true, although mine isn't nearly big enough to get all mine in.
    However, this time it is the quilts I am concentrating on. There is going to be a section devoted to Asa Wettre's "Old Swedish Quilts". There were some there last year and they were wonderful. I have the book she wrote about them and the people who made them.....so inspiring.
    I think my chief love is the old quilts rather than the modern art ones, although I really admire them too. I just wouldn't want to make any of those myself....the traditional always does it for me.

    Beware though.....quilting is addictive. But such an interesting journey. I started with Quilt in a Day - Log Cabin (Eleanor Burns) and went on from there. It is a very easy method and gives you complete confidence right from the start....and you end up with a beautiful quilt. Mine was King Sized so it took two days. Since then I've never looked back. Now I enjoy the quilting more than the patchwork, and I love applique, which filled me with horror to start with.
    BTW the show is on for 4 days...Thursday to Sunday. And the bargains to be had there always more than pay for the cost of the ticket. (I live on the Isle of Wight so I rely on the shows for my supplies.)

    By Blogger lilymarlene, at Saturday, 12 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home