Lilymarlene's Patchwork Blog

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

At the Ardingly Show last weekend, the 2nd Feb 2007, there was a section devoted to the quilts of Carolyn Forster. This lady has written a really easy to follow book called "Quilting on the Go". It is a very detailed explanation of the quilting block by block method where you have done most of the quilting before you assemble the blocks into a quilt.

Usually when you see quilts made this way it is obvious what has been done, and the seams are pretty prominent on the back. With these I had to look hard to see that it was actually made and quilted block-by-block. Very skilfully done!

There are suggestions for how to take these blocks with you to quilt on the train, or in a waiting room. What a very good idea! I do enjoy frame quilting, but I can see a place for this in my repertoire too.

4 Comments:

  • Yes Patsy...IS the oldest of our family. They wanted to put her in
    the Nursing Home...but she is giving them a roadblock. She says she is coming home today. We will see...

    I have been very sad.

    By Blogger Galla Creek, at Saturday, 10 February, 2007  

  • Yes Patsy...IS the oldest of our family. They wanted to put her in
    the Nursing Home...but she is giving them a roadblock. She says she is coming home today. We will see...

    I have been very sad.

    By Blogger Galla Creek, at Saturday, 10 February, 2007  

  • Thanks for the comment on my blog.

    The fabrics for the quilts came from my sisters' and my stashes, both collected over a number of years. Mostly from patchwork shows and shops, also a place in Leicester called Kisco who run the Fabric Guild UK. They have discounted fabric and general needle and craft products, you have to go there with a set amount of money to spend or ....you know what its' like! LOL!

    By Blogger Sandies' Patch, at Monday, 05 March, 2007  

  • Interesting blog. Both of them. I just had to tell you that your family and mine followed the same paths. My ancestors went from Ireland to England, my great grandfather worked in the mines, and had 10 or 11 children. My grandmother lived in Middlesboro before coming to America. Maybe they knew each other.

    By Blogger Betty, at Monday, 12 March, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home